Tender awarded for Whitsunday Coast airport terminal expansion
Whitsunday Regional Council today voted to award Paynter Dixon Queensland the tender to construct stage 1 of the Whitsunday Coast Airport terminal expansion project.
Regional Council Mayor Andrew Willcox said the $15 million terminal expansion would commence next month and was expected to be completed by November.
“Over 20 local sub-contractors and suppliers shared in the recent $25 million runway upgrade project and the winning terminal tenderer has promised to also utilise local contractors whenever possible.
“I am proud of our local buy policy which supports regional business and equates to creating jobs for locals,” he said.
“The terminal upgrade project and the runway upgrade will ensure vital airport infrastructure keeps pace with the forecast growth for the Whitsunday Region,” he said.
“I thank the Qld State Government for funding the $15 million terminal expansion project. Without their valuable support this project would not have been possible.
“This expansion is guaranteed to improve the customer experience of all passengers passing through the Whitsunday Coast Airport,” he said.
“This council has adopted a measured and sustainable approach to developing the airport and these projects are critical to realising the long term vision of our Strategic plan,” he said.
“When the demand is there and the business case stacks up, Council is positioning the airport to be able to cater for international flights by long haul aircraft.
“However I must stress international status is a long term strategy and our current focus is to ensure the airport facilities can cater for our growing domestic market on the back of record visitation numbers,” Mayor Willcox said.
“There are a total of five stages of the rolling masterplan for development of the airport complex for the long term future.
“Each of the staged developments compliments the previous so nothing is being built and then removed,” he said
“The record passenger numbers we are now welcoming means the terminal requires a significant expansion.
The concept terminal expansion will include:
– 100 new covered car parks and covered walkways to the terminal
– Additional toilets in baggage claim area
– Provision of additional airside toilets in the expanded departure lounge
– Doubling the size of the departure lounge to comfortably accommodate people from two simultaneous flights
– Provision of an additional departure gate.
– Reconfigured and expanded security screening area to allow for a future double lane of security screening
– Relocation of secure departure lounge exit with pass back monitoring and alarm directly into baggage claim area to reduce congestion.
– Additional food and beverage seating areas
– More than double the size baggage claim and arrivals area and adding a second baggage carousel
– Relocation of car rental kiosks into a purpose built car rental offices in the carpark immediately opposite the terminal
– Expansion of the baggage make up to include a makeup loop with two loading positions and bypass lanes to allow for expedient loading of departing aircraft
– Construction of relocated and expanded airport management offices, including an external emergency operations room.